Once a ship had been built and launched she then had to be out-fitted, and then complete sea trials
before being handed over to her new owners, who would look to have that ship at sea, as long as possible to pay for her build costs and of course to make the company good profits.
To this end one company may have had no requirement for a particular ship after a time and would then sell her on just like any other disposable commodity.
Hence a ship may have had a few owners and would go through many changes and names during what was hoped for a long and successful working life.
With the end of World War 2 companies needed to rebuild and for shipping companies that meant replacing war losses. And in fact this had been an order which was on the stocks at the start of the war in 1939 but had been hastily cancelled as the yard needed to start building warships.
M.V.CORNCRAKE was the first ship of a two ship order from the General Steam Navigation Company Ltd.
She was built for the coastal trade around the British Isles. She was a single screw diesel cargo vessel of 629 tons.
She was launched on 20th December 1945 into the peacetime waters of the River Forth.
The M.V.CORNCRAKE was employed on the profitable Liverpool to London trade route and she was eventually sold by the company in 1967.
One interesting thing about this vessel was the fact that she was powered by a German engine, she had a 6 cylinder diesel engine built by
Maschinenbau Kiel A G this has to be assumed that the engine was one that had been repatriated as part of the war costs awarded to the victorious allied armies, and this payment took many forms.
The majority of other Leith built ships of this time would have a British Polar Engine.
She had a service speed of 10 knots, with a cargo capacity of 56,600 cubic feet.
After service with the General Steam Navigation Company (Part of the P&O Shipping group) she was another of the small coasters to make her way across the North Atlantic ocean although she had only the infamous weather of this route to contend with and no U-Boats.
Purchased by H W C Gillett Ltd, St John's, Newfoundland, and renamed
Twillingate. In 1967 she worked for the Canadian shipping company until 1988 before being sold on again to Panamanian shipping interests although she kept the same name, and she was eventually deleted from Lloyds register in 1999.
So here we have another fine small coaster that had a useful working life of more than 50 years.
We try here to give as full an account of her history as time and research permits, if you know of missing info
or you have any photographs of her, then please get in touch and we shall update her story as we go along.