Once a ship had been built and launched she then had to be out-fitted, and then complete sea trials
before being handed over to her new owners, who would look to have that ship at sea, as long as possible to pay for her build costs and of course to make the company good profits.
To this end one company may have had no requirement for a particular ship after a time and would then sell her on just like any other disposable commodity.
Hence a ship may have had a few owners and would go through many changes and names during what was hoped for a long and successful working life.
The Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb were to build a total of three cement carriers for work in New zealand with the first of them being GOLDEN BAY (I) Ship No 430
The twin screw Diesel had a drive with "electromagnetic couplings" in the drive line.
GOLDEN BAY was ordered as a self-discharging cement carrier for the New Zealand market by Associated Portland Cement in 1953, she was a pretty special ship for her time and was to work in New Zealand for many years before being re-placed by another ship named GOLDEN BAY (but this one was to be built by the Caledon Shipyard and at the time of build was part of the then company known as Robb Caledon after Henry Robb had taken over the Dundee yard)
The following is taken from a story in the Dominian newspaper on the last voyage of the original
The veteran cement carrier Golden Bay, the first of her kind in New Zealand waters, sailed from Wellington last night for Nelson on her last coastal voyage.
During her 20 years of service between Tarakohe and Wellington she has carried thousands of tons of cement.
She is to be laid up pending sale.
Not many coasters attract much attention when they take up their humdrum duties. But in March 1955, however, the Golden Bay figured largely in the news as a vessel of a new type and design.
She was built at Leith (Scotland) by Henry Robb on August 27, 1953, and ran her trials on May 27th, 1954. Before coming to New Zealand her novel equipment had a thorough testing on the British coast over a period of several months.
The design of the 1659-ton Golden Bay presented several difficult problems to the owners, shipbuilders, and engineers. Such items as stability, trim and strength were of the usual kind, but she introduced something unusual in the loading loading and discharging arrangements for bulk cement.
The power required for this bulk handling equipment is far greater than that required to propel the vessel. She was also designed to carry coal as an alternative cargo to supply the cement works at Tarakohe from Greymouth or Westport.
Two large holds, separated by a centre-line bulkhead, are arranged over the entire mid-ship body. Forward of the cargo holds is situated in the large machinery space where the cargo handling equipment is installed - all electrically driven.
Motors control the operation of travelling crawler conveyers in each of the fore and aft holds. These conveyers also incorporated inclined and transverse scrapers, one to each hold, and are arranged to travel the full lenght of the compartment. A DC variable speed motor powers each of the four longitudinal dragline scraper conveyers, which are fed by cross scrapers of the crawler feed.
The Golden Bay is 245 feet long and she is powerd by two British Polar four cylinder diesel engines driving twin screws, which give a speed of 12.14 knots on trials.
The Golden Bay was also the first vessel to be fitted with electromagnetic couplings/ alter-nators, which facilitate the use of the propelling machinery for discharging the cargo while she is in port.
She arrived at Wellington in April 1955 after a 61-Day voyage of 13,500 miles out from Britain - via the Suez Canal, Aden, Colombo, Singapore and Townsville. On the passage she averaged better than 10 knots under the command of Captain C.V. Ostenfeld, of Nelson.
Living accommodation is at the after end of the ship and consists of two-berth cabins for the crew.
She brought a cargo of bag-ged cement which was discharged at Wellington.
GOLDEN BAY (I) was to work the coast of New Zealand untill 1981 and she was to have many adventures some of which have been sent into the Leith Shipyards website by engineer Tony Skilton who served on all 4 of the cement carriers built in Scotland for New Zealand three of them at the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb and the replacement for the original GOLDEN BAY (Same name) which was built in the Dundee yard of Robb Caledon.
We try here to give as full an account of her history as time and research permits, if you know of missing info or you have any photographs of her, then please get in touch and we shall update her story as we go along.