Once a ship had been built and launched she then had to be out-fitted, and then complete sea trials
before being handed over to her new owners, who would look to have that ship at sea, as long as possible to to pay for her build costs and of course to make the company good profits.
To this end one company may have had no requirement for a particular ship after a time and would then sell her on just like any other disposable commodity.
Hence a ship may have had a few owners and would go through many changes and names during what was hoped for a long and successful working life.MSC NYMPH was the Fourth of the four ship order for Diesel-engine tugs from the Manchester Ship Canal Company Ltd. This order had been put back a little due to the outbreak of World War II. The order was still required, despite the war and the tug was launched from the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb.
She was launched late 1941.
Nymph and Sister Neptune both reported sold in 1956.I (Keith Smith) think it was later - to South Ocean Services, Portsmouth, renamed SQL1 and SQL2 for salvage operations to remove nickel plating from the WW1 14,000 âton cruiser H.M.S. Drake which sank on 2nd October 1917 in the North Channel of the Irish Sea, - by a torpedo from the German U-boat U-79 .
1970 Both vessels may have passed on to one other owner
1980 finally owned by West Scotland Shipbreakers Ltd, Ayrshire, and both scrapped 1981
Note:- They were in fact sold on to South Ocean Services of Portsmouth in 1970.
They were superior it was said at the time to the steam powered tugs previously built for the company. The tug NYMPH along with NEPTUNE was scrapped in 1981 after a working life of 40 years service on the canal.
We try here to give as full an account of her history as time and research permits, if you know of missing info
or you have any photographs of her, then please get in touch and we shall update her story as we go along.