Once a ship had been built and launched she then had to be out-fitted, and then complete sea trials
before being handed over to her new owners, who would look to have that ship at sea, as long as possible to pay for her build costs and of course to make the company good profits.
To this end one company may have had no requirement for a particular ship after a time and would then sell her on just like any other disposable commodity.
Hence a ship may have had a few owners and would go through many changes and names during what was hoped for a long and successful working life.
ABEILLE No 8 - This tug had an interesting history as she was built to handle the two new Queens that had been built on the Clyde, when they called into the French Port on the start of the Atlantic crossings.
The order for this large tug (for it's time) came from a famouse French towing and salvage company, Compagnie de Remorquage et de Sauvetage "Les Abeilles", Le Havre, it was to be built and launched from the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb, and intended for use in towing in to port the new super liners the original Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.
Then war broke out on 3rd September 1939, during the retreat from France of the British, Belgian and French troops she was captured by the German forces and commissioned into the Kreigsmarine Harbour service as an auxiliary minesweeper M 4008 30th July 1940
She was to be sunk by an allied air attack on 30th July 1942 near Le Harve, by coincedence to the day 2 years from her capture.
So this fine old tug became another war casualty. (my thanks to Ted at the shipsnostalgia website for some of the above information)
We try here to give as full an account of her history as time and research permits, if you know of missing info or you have any photographs of her, then please get in touch and we shall update her story as we go along.