Following a resent request I have decided that the esteemed branch of shipbuilders "The Shipwrights" should have a section of the website and over time we shall endeavour to name as many Shipwrights as possible who have worked in the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb Ltd.
Shipwrights build Ships
The following is from a list sent in by Jim "Gibby" Gibson Shipwright in reply to David McGarry Shipwright
HI David, It has been over 50 years since I left Robb,s and emigrated to Canada, but I will try my best to remember ,as long as no one is offended because I forgot some of them , or in many cases only knew them by their Nicknames , as many of them will only remember me as Gibby. so here goes
I will start with my best Mate Bertie Law, I am sure he his sorely missed by all who knew him
Willie Drummond ,Billy Sproulle. Joe Haggerty, Ray Meikle, Eddy Watson, Kenny Hamilton, Pat Murphy, Jimmy Murray, Jimmy Tonner,
Dougie Elliot, George, ( DoD) .Kay, Theo Henderson, Gordon Rennie, Chik Love, Jimmy Ewing Junior, and Jimmy Ewing, Senior
Tam Hughes, Mick Darcy, Willie Rule , Martin Borman, Dykes Morrison, Abe Locke , Tammy Fox, Andy Brown , Donald Thompson,
Tam Devlin,. Joe Gracie, Danny Bowie, Bobby Aitcheson, Jimmy Fowliss, Tam Dick and of course Jimmy " SODGER " Cairns
There are few more I can still picture the and see their faces but their names escape me.
If I remember some more I will forward them on to you.
PS These were all Shipwrights, There was also Bobby Bell and Donald Thompson who worked in the Shipwrights Mill.
I will add to this list over time to include as many Shipwrights as possible.
Ships of Wood and Men of Iron
Some more names of Shipwrights at the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb Ltd
Big George Robinson, Alan Wishart, Dan Hutchinson who was the Shipwright trainer at the apprentice school
Joe Clark who worked in the Loft along with Bobby Brown who also worked in the Loft, both Shipwrights
Then Archie Harvey went up to the Loft for a while as well.
Stevie Borthwick, Ian (Woolie) Woolard, John Kemp, Chris Sandison, Rab Dignan, Dode Ramsey, Barry Booth
Ross Lumsden and Mav (real name escapes me for now)
wully graham,tony angelosanto,flash Thomson, Kenny brodie
sadly no longer with us,bruce partington,john pennington,tam dall,and mav from your previous list was jim leask,
Some more names sent in by B.Booth Shipwright
Kevin Kneeshaw, Jim Finlay and Alan'Moe'Morris on. Others I remember Carlo Di Lorenzo, Mickey Widison or Woodison, Ike Payne and his son Stevie. Sadly no longer with us Billy Adamson, Wullie Nicholson. The Gaffers I remember the 'wee man' Bobby Aitchison, Bobby Klar, Ivan Borman and Willie Stirton.
He also sent in this old reminder of how it was if you wanted out of the shipyard for any reason you had to get a "Pass Out" used and abused by all with many laughs along the way it was even rumoured that someone actually painted his leg with the now infamous "Red Lead" paint to make it look like he had shit himself, early morning after the pubs in Leith had started opening all day.
The "Pass Oot" gave the day and the reason for your absence from the shipyard and as you can see from the above photogragh of this particular old "Pass Oot" the reason for absence was a pretty common one which covered probably 99% of the workers in the yard. The other 1% where in denial.......
But by this time even the time keepers where giving in to a sense of humour.
Ships and Shipbuilders
Many more to add over time.